WHY GARAGE EPOXY FLOORING IS ECO-FRIENDLYJuly 29, 2015
Garage floors are typically made of porous concrete. Over time, the concrete cracks and the surface become pitted and stained. If you’re looking for a garage floor coating to solve these problems, garage epoxy flooring could be the answer.
Not only is this solution beautiful and durable, but it’s also eco-friendly. This is great news for anyone hoping to lower their impact on the environment. Explore the top reasons why epoxy is considered a “green” flooring material and how other garage floor coatings compare.
THE GREEN SIDE OF GARAGE EPOXY FLOORING
- No VOCs: Volatile organic compounds are gases that adhesives, solvents and other chemicals give off. They pollute the air and can cause health problems. Certain types of garage epoxy flooring avoid the use of solvents to prevent emitting VOCs. This is good news for your family’s health and the environment.
100% UV protection: Epoxy garage flooring won’t oxidize in the sun, a process that releases harmful chemicals into the air. UV protection also ensures your garage floor coating stays in beautiful condition for years to come.
- Protection against chemical saturation: Without a coating on your concrete garage floor, the surface soaks up oil, gasoline and other spills. Non-porous epoxy floor coatings protect against this saturation to help keep your garage cleaner and safer.
- Less water used: Once installed, you’ll find it takes less water to clean the epoxy surface because it doesn’t trap dirt and grime the way porous concrete does.
- Fewer pesticides required: Since garage epoxy flooring is seamless, insects have no cracks and crevices to hide in. This minimizes the insect population in the garage, thus reducing the amount of pesticides you must use and minimizing the impact of these chemicals on the environment.
ARE OTHER OPTIONS AS ECO-FRIENDLY?
- Concrete stain: As long as you choose a non-toxic stain made from bio-based ingredients, you can expect concrete stain to be eco-friendly. However, staining the garage floor doesn’t provide the same long-lasting durability as epoxy.
- Recycled tile garage flooring: Vinyl garage floor tiles have eco-friendly properties, particularly when they’re made from recycled materials. This modular solution still has seams, so moisture may become trapped and attract insects.
- Roll-out floor mats: Rubber mats can also be considered eco-friendly if they’re made of recycled material. Again, this is not a seamless option, and large rolls can shrink or expand with changing temperatures, causing warping and buckling.
- In the end, while other coatings offer eco-friendly advantages, garage epoxy flooring is still the winner due to its additional benefits. If you want to explore the possibility of having beautiful, durable epoxy flooring installed in your garage, request a free quote from Lux Garage and Closet today!